Balbir Singh-ji,

I met your 1948 London Olympics teammate 93-year old goalkeeper Leo Pinto in Bandra a couple of days asgo and we reminisced abiout Indi's past hockey glory and reviewed our recent paper to revive Indian hockey and return it to the top of world hockey. Leo is hale and hearty. Also not to be left behind with the Top 11 Sardars of Indian Hockey List, Leo made a list of the Top Goans of Indian Hockey who were mainly his contemporaries: 1. GKs Leo Pinto (Lusitanians/Tatas of Byculla/Bandra - originally from Camarcazana, Mapusa, Goa) Cedric Pereira (Tatas of Bandra - originally from Anjuna, Goa - he was also Leo's protege)

2. RB Walter D'Souza of Burmah-Shell and Lusitanians of Dhobitalao/Girgaum and Saligao, Goa

3. LB   Dominic Fernandes from Bardez and Lusitanians

4. RH  Peter Ferrao of Lusitanians and originally from Tivim, Goa

5. CH Willie Fernandes of Lusitanians and Mapusa

6. LH Maxie Vaz of Bank of Baroda and Lusitanians, originally from Bardez, Goa

7. RW Lawrie Fernandes of Tatas and Lusitanians, originally from Saligao. He represented India in the 1948 Olympics. His daughter Lorraine Fernandes also represented India.

8. RI  Felix Fernandes of Lusitanians

9. CF Neville D'Souza of Tatas (he was also a footballer)
       Peter Paul Fernandes who represented Pakistan in the Olympics

10. LI Johnny Pinto of Bombay Customs and Candolim, Goa

11. LW Again Lawrie Fernandes, as he was a versatile right and left winger.
            Francis  Coutinho of  Tatas and Assolna/Cuncolim, Goa.

Now this is Leo's list of the Top Goan hockey players of his time. There may be others of late, but the most prominent guys are CH Vece Paes of Calcutta and Velim, Goa (1972 Munich Olympics); Right Inner Merwyn Fernandes of Indian Airlines and Parra, Goa and Center Half Joaquium Carvalho of Bandra, who represented India in the victorous 1980 Moscow Olympics. We have also had Goan players who did not represent India, but played for other countries such as Rui Saldahna of Saligao who played CH for England and CF Trevour Fernandes who played for the US in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

So who are the prominent Goan Hockey players from Pakistan who you played with and who else would you like to add to Leo's list ? Do Let me know.

Best Regards,

Dr. Carmo D'Cruz
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.