Manohar,

The Save Goa Party has get momemtum till the May elections to vanquish the
Congress, MGP, UGP, and even the BJP in the May elections. Capitalize on it
NOW ! before some else does !

Best Regards,

Dr. Carmo D'Cruz
ex Velim in South Goa
now Indian Harbour Beach, Florida

It's a victory for Goa's green heroes

GREAT GOING: With the efforts of Oscar and Patricia, the government's
controversial development plan was withdrawn.

There is one determined woman who is risking her life to save a bit of Goa's
greenery while the government just stands by and watches.

It's a moment that nudged Goa's conscience and inspired the otherwise
easygoing Goan community to form the Save Goa movement where they took to
the streets to protest the Government's Regional Development plan.

But the transition from armchair activist to a hands on one is not an easy
one. Especially for Oscar Rebello, who is a doctor with a busy practice.

And Rebello, rarely has spare time for himself. But I've never experienced a
more exhilarating high than this in my life," he says.

It's equally tough for Patricia Pinto, who runs her own boutique.

And so they're settling for the long haul, spreading the word to every Goan,
actively stopping hills from vanishing into oblivion or a forest from being
replaced by concrete.

But the achievement is the stay order on the construction of a park on the
beach front in direct violation of the Coastal Regulation Act is another
testimony to the efforts of Oscar, Patricia and the others of the movement.
A sign that the Goan middle class has found it's voice and is making itself
heard.

* * * * *

Goans win battle, remain skeptical

Panaji: After a long struggle, the people of Goa finally have a reason
cheer. After months of rallies and protests the fight to save Goa's natural
beauty has finally borne fruit with the state government
deciding to denotify the controversial Regional Plan 2011.

Chief Minister Pratapsingh Rane took the decision after discussing it with
his cabinet colleagues.

The controversial Regional Plan 2011 advocates development of commercials
buildings and hotels in the state's forested areas. "Respecting the
sentiments of the people we have decided to denotify
Regional Plan 2011 & prepare a new Plan. We are not denotifying this plan
from retrospective effect," Rane said.

Yet, this decision is being taken with a pinch of salt by the locals. The
plan will not be denotified with retrospective effect.

The Goa Bachao Abhiyan, which spearheaded the campaign says they want clear
account of permissions granted during the period between the date of the
plan's notification and the date of an interim stay issued by the High
Court.

"GBA urges all Goans to remain vigilant. And we have to study the
denotification process, especially with regards to the land use changes made
from Aug 2006," says Convenor of the Goa Bachao Abhiyan, Oscar Rebello.

He has already started getting the popular support. "Decision has to be
denotified from the day it was notified. You cannot have a choice," says
architect Ritu Prasad.

Though it seems that the state government has bowed to the people power,
citizens don't really think so.

The decision of the government to not to denotify the plan from
retrospective effect has created another stir. Now just what course of
action this movement will take is for time to tell.