23-Feb-2014

Dear friend,

You may have noticed that insecure people like to control a lot. Only those who
feel safe and non-threatened live in freedom and are ready to let others free.
When we trust others we do not need to control nor do we need to worry and be
anxious. Yet, we have become worriers, anxious about so many things. In the
desire to be secure we tend to
 believe that wealth gives security. However, the more we have, the less secure
we become! Our faith tells us God is in charge of our life. Have a 'care-free'
weekend, surrendering to Him! Fr. Jude

Sunday Reflections: Eighth
 Sunday - "Why worry about food and clothes? Trust Your Father who knows your
needs!" 2-Mar- 2014

Isaiah 49: 14-15;           1Corinthians 4: 1-5;           Matthew 6:24-34;

In the first reading the prophet Isaiah asks: "Can a mother forget the baby at
her breast?  And have no compassion for the child she has borne?" The Lord
assures us, though a mother may forget, I will never
 forget you! God cares for us more than a mother for her child. We are his
beloved sons and daughters. We are the apple of his eye. He cannot forget us:
"I have carved you on the palm of my hand." Fashioned into his image and
likeness, God
 carries us in the palm of His hands. All he asks is that we trust in Him.

Cure for Sorrow
There is an old Chinese tale about the woman whose only son died. In her grief,
she went to the holy man and said, 'What prayers, what magical incantations do
you have to bring my son back to life?' Instead of sending her away or
reasoning with her, he said to her, "Fetch me a mustard seed from a home that
has never known sorrow. We will use it to drive the sorrow out of your life."
The woman went off at once in search of that magical mustard seed. She came
first to a splendid mansion, knocked at the door, and said, "I am looking for a
home that has never known sorrow. Is this such a place? It is very important to
me." They told her, "You've certainly come to the wrong place," and began to
describe all
 the tragic
 things that had recently befallen them. The woman said to herself, "Who is
better able to help these poor, unfortunate people than I, who have had
misfortune of my own?" She
 stayed to comfort them, then, went on in search of a home that had never known
sorrow. But wherever she turned, in hovels and in palaces, she found one tale
after another of misfortune. Ultimately, she became so involved in ministering
to other people's grief that she forgot about her quest for the magical mustard
seed, never realizing that it had, in fact, driven the sorrow out of her life.
Brian Cavanaugh in 'The Sower's Seeds'

In today's gospel we are continuing with the Sermon on the Mount. Though we
might not believe that it is possible, yet the risk of worshipping a false God
is a threat in every Christian life. The Lord points out very clearly and
forcefully: "you cannot serve God and wealth. Jesus demands an exclusive option
for God. Yes, we can affirm
 that we serve God but there
 is also the danger of serving wealth. Serving mammon amounts to converting it
into an alternative for God, specifically because we can continue to profess we
adore God, when in practice we have given our lives over to money and what
derives from it. Matthew emphasizes this perspective in the beautiful passage
of trusting in God's providence based on the metaphor of the birds of the air
and the lilies of the field. In plain words, trusting God who loves us like a
loving mother means placing our lives in the hands of God's care and being free
to serve him and his people. Jesus insists: 'Do not worry, do not strive
needlessly. Your Father knows what you need." This leads us to the central
statement: "Strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness."
Welcoming the gift of the kingdom demands that we practice righteousness. The
grace of the kingdom has to produce our solidarity with others, especially with
the poor and the needy. Thus, to be a
 faith-person demands that we make a radical choice: God or wealth. If we are
constantly worried and anxious we are insulting God, we don't believe He can
and is taking care of us!

Thank you for tomorrow!
Benjamin Reaves tells about a little fellow whose mother had died. His father
was trying to be both Mum and Dad under difficult circumstances. The father had
scheduled a picnic for the two of them. The little fellow had never been on a
picnic. He was excited - so excited that he couldn't sleep. Soon there was a
patter of little feet down the hall to where the father was sleeping. He shook
his Dad who would have responded gruffly except he saw the expression on his
little son's face. "What's the matter, son?" he asked. The fellow said, "Oh,
Daddy, tomorrow's going to be so wonderful. I just can't sleep I'm so excited."
The father laughed and said, "It
 won't be
 wonderful if we don't get some sleep. Now you go back to your bedroom and try
to sleep." A little while later the ritual was repeated. The father was already
sleeping soundly, when the boy placed an excited hand on his shoulder. "What do
you want now?" asked the father. "Daddy, said the boy, "I just want to thank
you for tomorrow." - Do we trust our father in heaven to take care of us 'for
tomorrow'? Do we thank God in advance for doing so?
Gerard Miller in 'Stories for all Seasons'

Are you Anxious?
John was my classmate in high school, but a week before the finals he dropped
out. He could not handle anxiety. During class tests he would break out in cold
sweat and his
 mind would go blank. He was in school
 for the first two years but later he stopped going to lectures; he was afraid
he would not be able to remember the important points that would come for the
test. By the end of the second year, he felt uncomfortable even to enter the
school library. Soon he stopped going to the student's coffee bar, for he was
afraid he would meet there some of his teachers or cleverer students. And then
the amazing thing happened: He became almost too anxious to leave his own room.
Anxiety has been called 'the official emotion of our age'. If some are worried
about the end of the world, others are worried about the end of the month!
Blessed is the person who is too busy to worry in the daytime and too sleepy to
worry at night.
Vima Dasan in 'His Word Lives'

Let him worry about that!
Two business executives meet for lunch. Gene asks Ed: "How's your health?" Ed
said, "I feel great! My ulcers are gone. I feel great!" Gene says, "How did
that happen? Ed says, Well, you know my doctor told me my ulcers were caused
from worrying. So, I hired myself a professional worrier. Whenever something
worrisome comes up, I turn it over to him, and he does all my worrying for me!"
Gene says, "Wow, I'd like to hire someone like that! How much does he charge?"
Ed says, "One hundred thousand dollars!" Gene asked, "How in the world can you
afford $100,000? Ed says, "I don't know. I let him worry about that!"
John Pichappilly in 'The Table of the Word'

Worry is as useless as sawing sawdust
Sir William Osler, was the
 Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford- the highest honour that could be
bestowed upon any medical man in the British Empire. The King of England also
knighted him. He organized the world famous John Hopkins School of Medicine. As
a medical student, he was worried about passing the final examination; he was
worried about his life- what to do, where to go and how to make a living? His
life profoundly changed and he led a life free from worry because of the
twenty-one words of Thomas Carlyle. These are those words: "Our main business
is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at
hand." Once, when he was addressing a group of university students, he said
that a man like himself who was a professor at four universities, and who had
written a popular book, was supposed to have a 'special quality of brains'; He
declared that it was not true. His friends who knew him well would agree with
him that he was a man of 'mediocre
 intelligence'. What made him great in life is his principle: 'Living in
day-tight compartment.' He said to the students, "Shut the past the dead
yesterdays, shut off the future - the unborn tomorrows. The load of tomorrow,
added to that of yesterday, carried today, makes the strongest falter. Shut off
the future as tightly as the past. The future is Today. There is no tomorrow.
The day of man's salvation is now! Mental distress, nervous worries dog the
steps of a man who is anxious about the future."
John Rose in 'John's Sunday Homilies'

He's got the whole world in His hands! May we place all our worries in His
hands!

Fr. Jude Botelho
botelhoj...@gmail.com

PS. The stories, incidents and anecdotes used in the reflections have been
collected over the years from books as well as from sources over the net and
from e-mails received. Every effort is made to acknowledge authors whenever
possible. If you send in stories or illustrations I would be grateful if you
could quote the source as well so that they can be acknowledged if used in
these reflections.
These reflections are also available on my Web site www.NetForLife.net Thank
you.