Raymond De Souza is a Catholic parish priest in an Ontario Church, a Chaplain
at Queens University and on the teaching faculty of the Departments of
Education and of Economics at the University. He is a religious columnist at
the National Post, one of the country’s major newspapers and a columnist at
other major Catholic publications.

He is the son, I am told, of Cedric De Souza a chemistry teacher at Strathmore
in Kenya in the1960s.

This was a timely topic of discussion among concerned Catholics in Toronto even
before this article. Some Church sources were even quoted saying anonymously
that 40% less churchgoers would return for regular services once restrictions
were completely lifted. If that were true, it would have severe financial
implications for this diocese which though having other sources of income, are
overdependent on regular church donations.

Filomena must be already knowing, but will take heart with the fact that if
this trend takes place throughout the developed Catholic world, the
non-Caucasian section of the flock is bound to have a more powerful voice in
its affairs.

Even to me as a non-believer, I wish it didn’t happen. A traditional sense of
community and activity should not be lost. Ivan Pereira should be able to tell
us how from complete control of the population in every aspect of their lives,
the Catholic Church in Quebec today can only muster a few stragglers in rural
and even suburban churches.

Raymond J. de Souza: COVID may have hastened Christianity's decline in Canada |
National Post
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/raymond-j-de-souza-covid-may-have-hastened-christianitys-decline-in-canada

Roland.
Toronto.