On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 03:16:50 p.m. CDT, Roland Francis
<roland.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:

 This was a timely topic of discussion among concerned Catholics in Toronto
even before this article. Some Church sources were even quoted saying
anonymously that 40% less churchgoers would return for regular services once
restrictions were completely lifted. If that were true, it would have severe
financial implications for this diocese which though having other sources of
income, are overdependent on regular church donations.

Even to me as a non-believer, I wish it didn’t happen. A traditional sense of
community and activity should not be lost. Ivan Pereira should be able to tell
us how from complete control of the population in every aspect of their lives,
the Catholic Church in Quebec today can only muster a few stragglers in rural
and even suburban churches.

Folks,

Most of us have been taught that the Lord works in mysterious ways. In the days
of old, he regularly used to send plagues to earth and Covid, although
devastating, is not as bad as having the first born of every family die.

Here in the west, the Catholic church is dependent on priests from the
developing world. The west also imports immigrants from the same countries so
it is a nice fit in that the immigrants have ready made churches, the beliefs
to move in with, and if they a very lucky, also a priest that is a native
speaker of their language.

As for the all important contributions to the church, the Popes of old had a
great idea. They sold "indulgences" to anyone who could afford them. The less
guilty have to drop money into the collection plates every Sunday. I used to
count the collections - once upon a time. I still have not figured out if the
contributions are made from guilt or generosity.

One thing is sure, when the "contributions" stop, the clergy leave.

Mervyn