John wrote:He told me I need to be a PIO if you wish to OWN land in India, any
state, Goa included. I said no but my wife was, although a Mauritian, her
ancestry is Indian, in fact a Hindu also. Marshall wrote:John, I did not have
enough time to go through your long post in detail. However, what I could
decipher in short was that you wanted to buy some property in Goa. I am
confused how you say that you are not a PIO. If you were born of Indian / Goan
parents, that would automatically qualify you as a PIO................
-----------------------------------
My comments:Perhaps Marshall missed the posting where John mentioned of his
background.  Marshall, John is a Goa born person of Portuguese & British
parentage.  That's the reason he cannot claim to be a PIO (Person of Indian
orgin).  For that matter, even though John's wife is a Mauritian of parents of
Indian origin.  It will be very difficult to prove it. The PIO card has certain
requirements like; you should have parents, grandparents, relations to prove
that they still have their residence in India.  In the absence of these and
other requirements mentioned hereunder, one cannot claim their stake for PIO,
even thought their ancestary is Indian.  You could download the PIO form from
the link below and check for yourself if you meet with the requirements.
1.         “Person of Indian Origin” means a foreign citizen (not being a
citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh and other countries as may be specified by the
Central Government from time to time)
            i)          he/she at any time held an Indian Passport ;
or
            ii)         he/she or either of his/her parents or grand parents or
great grand parents was born in  and permanently resident in India as defined
in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of
India thereafter provided neither  was at any time a citizen of any of the
aforesaid countries (as referred to in (1) above; or
            iii)         he/she is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person
of Indian origin covered under (i) or (ii) above.
2.         Form of application for issue/renewal of a PIO Card
                        An application for issue/renewal of a PIO Card shall be
made in the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by documentary evidence to
show that the applicant is a person of Indian origin as defined. Application
should be accompanied by the current passport and the Landing Paper of the
applicant and a copy of each of these documents.
Applications for children born to Indian parents in Canada must be accompanied
by (i) the child's Canadian passport, (ii) original birth certificate
mentioning the names of the parents and (iii) at least one parent's Indian
passport and PR Card/ Landing Paper and a copy of all these documents.

Thanks,

Alba Fernandes
Calgary, Canada
Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free
today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger