To Goanet -

The usual political suspects in Goa have thrown their weight behind the creation of a new 6-lane highway. Like the proposed Special Ghati Zones this, too, is a terrible mistake.

You ought to ask yourself who exactly is supporting these projects. At the head of the list is the leading corruptician (my portmanteau word for the corrupt politician) of our times, Dayanand Narvekar.

We should be thinking of ways to reduce motorized traffic and curtail our carbon emissions, not increase them. Everyone talks about the need for spanking new roads. Nobody talks about cultivating road manners and road culture, something that would enhance the quality of life much more than the pouring of fresh asphalt. The 6-lane highway will transform Goa - coastal Goa, at any rate - into one indistinguishable contiguous urban mass. The damage would be incalculable and irreversible.

Among the several factors that has placed Goa on the fast track to doom is its easy accessibility, particularly in the past 5 years. The Dilli savage now has a choice of flights from sunrise until sunset. A slew of trains is now on offer for the ghati from Bihar or AP. Getting into Goa has never been easier. It is akin to having the doors of your house open and unguarded at all times. With the 6-lane highway we will have knocked down the walls, too.

Warm regards,