--- Roland Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The abuse suffered by Native Indians in Canada
> provides a parallel to the
> caste abuse in the Goa of yesteryear.
-------------------------------------

Roland's parallel to Native Indians in Canada, brought
to mind my visit to a Native American Reservation
earlier this year and the parallel I then drew to Goan
Catholic society. Native Americans are a dying race,
their young awkwardly trying to embrace their past in
a ritualistic tribal dance while a future calls to
them outside the reservation.

In a similar vein, just today I heard of a report that
said young Jews in America do not feel a bond with
Israel and feel disconnected from its history. To the
Jews in Israel, this would seem like betrayal of the
worst sort, but such is life that distance from
history and geography creates a new cultural mindset,
even as an old one struggles to live.

A few years ago the Parsis of India buried a
time-capsule. A few items commemorating their culture.
This, they sadly know, will be all that is left of
this community that produced some of India's best.

Goan Catholics are not a race but collectively they
share a unique culture and history. We too know in our
hearts that nothing much will be left of us save
perhaps for a collection of memories and memoirs.

selma

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs