Sachin wrote: Does this mean that he can
> get away with painting Hindu gods and goddesses in
> nude? One of the other objection to Hussain's
> painting is that he has exhibited his artisitic
> freedom in such a manner only with respect to Hindu
> gods and goddesses. He has not painted secular
> figures in such a manner, particularly not in erotic
> positions.
--------------------------
selma wrote:Sachin, For some odd reason, I've always considered you a
moderate. Now, I realise that I'm confused as to what
constitutes a moderate, just as you are confused about
what constitutes a secular democracy.

MY TAKE:
There are no moderates in any debate.
There are people you agree with,
there are people you disagree with,
and there are some people who are sometimes disagreeable.

But there are no moderates in any debate.
People are submitting their perceptions.
Sometimes based on logic, sometimes on emotion.
In both cases, they can be right or wrong.

Sachin has never been abusive, malicious or patronising.
I have not met him, but based on the tone of his posts
 he comes across as an earnest person.
We have to avoid the constant attempts to label persons.

It is good that we share our concerns and opinions.
It helps our collective learning.
But good debaters are entitled to use wit
but they should accept it against themselves, too.
There are so many with whom I have clashed on this forum
but I respect them as concerned citizens
and as ones who are willing to do their bit for their world.

I am a staunch support of the freedom of expression,
but like, Sachin
I am curious like to see Hussain's erotic versions
of icons and characters from other religions as well.

Regarding the idols in Goan temples, many are in the nude form.
However, in the bigger temples
an entire larger casing of the diety is put onto this idol
and in the smaller temples
they are draped in flowers and clothes.

As for the Hindu Jagruti Samiti, they are hypocrites.
We only need to expose their hypocrisy.
They are casteists, regressive and excessive.
Their ideology of hate is not about only
Muslim bashing or Christian lashing
they are against all humane, progressive instincts
in Hinduism as well.
Their message of hatred is naked.
We only need to be like the kid who cried
"look, the King is wearing no clothes"

regards
Pravin-da

      Forgot the famous last words? Access your message archive online at
http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php