                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                 The Rape of Goa - A photo documentary
                                  by
                           Rajan P. Parrikar

      Venue: Menezes Braganza Art Gallery, Panjim, May 21-24, 2008

               http://www.parrikar.org/misc/doc-notice.pdf

TIMES OF INDIA - GOA  EDITION -  May 21, 2008
"Oil on beaches puts off tourists".
"OIL'S NOT WELL ON GOA'S BEACHES".
"Slimy waves, jelly globules, sticky substance in sand". (Alexander Barbosa & Sanjay Banerjee)
"THE LAW - MONITORING - REALITY"
"Cause - Evasion - Effect"
"Tar balls, says govt". (Alexander M. Barbosa)
"Indian waters are dumper's delight" (Paul Fernandes)
"Sticky stuff could be injurious to health" (Raju Nayak)

Comments:

The Goa Su-Raj is thankful for the in-depth extensive coverage of this beach soiling phenomenon and deeply appreciates the same.

That what we see in the pictures floating on water and on Goa's beaches is the crude oil tank washings discharged during the transiting period of the crude oil carriers round cape Comorin and before arrival at Gulf loading ports. No vessel can discharge these tank washings into the sea directly and must store these into their slop tanks to be discharged into the specially provided shore tanks at every Load Port. Oil discharge monitor on board the ship is supposed to be kept 'on' at all times but as it is well known that this rule/law is manipulated. If tankers arrive at load port without sufficient tank washings they can be penalized as it is evident that the remaining ballast has been discharged at sea. The International regulations are in place with MARPOL but the implementation 'will' is missing. As an ex- ship board officer, I have known that many load ports around the world especially 'Ras Tanurah' load port in the Gulf refuses to take the tank washings when it is supposed to. Therefore the ships are bound to enter port with the tanks clean and empty in all readiness to load afresh. The bulk of the tank washings are discharged into the sea off the Konkan Coast by the cover of the night as this is the slackest stretch of sea passage as far as the sea discharge monitoring is concerned.

During the Miramar Beach Privatization hearings by the One Man Commission (Dr. Nandkumar Kamat) during the tenure of the BJP, when I had deposed, I had talked at length about the Central Government needing to take this phenomenon of tank washing discharge at sea by oil tankers seriously and on a war footing, especially since Goa's tourism was nothing but beach tourism. I had talked about the naval facility at Goa should be pressed into service to keep a watchful eye on the movement of super tankers to the Gulf region, especially at night through sea and air surveillance. But that is asking for too much. The Indian Navy parked at Goa is not interested in the safety of Goa's beaches but only its own safety, that it should be allowed to have a good time at Goa at Goa's cost doing simple things like training raw pilots and growing barnacles on the ship sides of the Coastguard cutters. For this reason the Goa Su-Raj Party wants the naval establishment at Goa shifted lock stock and barrel to Sea Bird at Karwar and shall not rest until this is achieved.

When my ship accidentally discharged crude oil (less than half ton) into the sea at berth at Chiba during the operation of intake of ballast water on its maiden voyage (ship built at Kasado/Japan and loaded at Singapore), the fine that was slapped was 250,000 U.S. Dollars. No matter what justification was given for the accident, the reply of the authorities was "BUT CAPITAN - OIL IN THE SEA - NO GOOD" Because the Japanese will guard their seas with their lives as fish is their staple food. I have known instances where the Japanese surveillance planes have escorted the culprit tankers into the Japanese waters for discharging oil into their territorial waters and have put the respective Captains under arrest. Come to Indian ports like Bombay and Calcutta or even Goa, the sea water in the immediate vicinity of out harbours will be seen as deep black ink that one could easily fill a fountain pen with and start writing. We Indians have no respect for anything, not even the God given nature. All we know is to fill our stomachs, and, more than that, our deep, deep pockets.

I wonder if our 'Aam Aadmi yap'master' CM or the 'Dhirio Bull' Tourism Minister know the difference between the ship-board crude oil tank washing discharge and the flushed out matter from a toilet commode. So much for the safety of Goa's golden eggs laying golden beaches.

floriano
goasuraj