Economic and Political Weekly, EPW [http://www.epw.in], is a magazine
that's usually thought-provoking, and I recently renewed my
subscription to it (Rs 3200 for individuals for three years). In the
July 12, 2008 issue, there's an interesting article of relevance to
Goa, titled 'One for the (Cyber) Road". It's by that iconoclast who
writes under the initials of GPD, and says: "The Marathi Sahitya
Sammelans have been th evictim of the crass vulgarity that
characterises our literary culture."

The Konkani sammelans -- of various shapes and forms -- have also been
patterned on their larger, Marathi counterparts. So it's anyone's
guess how relevant this debate is to us here in Goa.

GPD writes: "During colonial times, there was a justified feeling that
all cultural and social activity of people must have a collective
aspect. Cultural professionals should meet once a year at least and
exchange views and experience. It was justice Ranade who started it
all towards the end of the 19th century. The idea was that one of the
senior cultural activists, in this case, a Marathi author, would be
selected to give a lead to the discussions. Being so elected acquired
before long a status of (a) Nobel. Or nearly so! Year after year the
celebratory nature of the collective increased and now the process of
election has acquired a status akin to that of the election to the
chairmanship of a sugar cooperative."

He adds: "It is a part of the Indian psyche that we seem to be
reluctant to see that literature si basically to be privately enjoyed.
I think our poetry readings are responsible for it. In none of the
advanced societies the phenomenon of a score of poets and 50 odd poems
being applauded in one evening ever takes place.... The Marathi
Sahitya Sammelans have been a victim of this crassness. And yet,
ordinary people throng these celebrations with great enthusiasm. They
buy books worth several lakhs of rupees. They venerate their idols and
icons...."

--
FN * Independent Journalist http://fn.goa-india.org
784 Nr Convent, Saligao 403511 Goa India