Philip Thomas wrote:
So the solution is smple. Do not make Mopa an international airport. Keep it a
regional airport catering to small town airports emerging in surrounding areas
and secondary airports of metros if any. It will play second fiddle to Dabolim
and hopefully grow over time as the market expands due to economic growth and
improved air connectivity.
Comment:
I am very clear in my mind on certain issues-
1.a decision of this magnitude not made on studies of financial viability is
per se a bad decision.
2.It is logical that only one airport can sustain economically and that will be
the new airport because all traffic will be diverted there to enable the
airport to break even and make profits for its entrepreneurs.
3. recent history is a guide that wherever new airports have come up, the old
ones have closed down.
4.airports set up not on principes of need but vested interests will never be a
popular decision.
5.the infrastructure for setting up the new airport is going to result in
further denuding the green forest areas, displacement of people, land grab,
concretisation and sundry other social ills. For the GBA, GPA, etc. this is
going to become a full time occupation.
6. I am not convinced why the government could not intensify its efforts to
move the navy to Karwar and upgrade the Dabolim airlort which would cost much
less.

regards,

Marshall