> Doctor dos Reis F,

Calm down. I do not know about the Directorate of Women and Child
Development, but try and avoid painting all womens organizations in a
corner. It cannot be that all are pubilicty addicts. There is a lot of good
they do, and you do not need me to tell anyone that from outside India.

Their job is not made any easier with the weasels that are sitting in power,
besides the fact that men have their own expectations of women, leave alone
womens organizations. Just one peculiar example: Years ago when Cecilia
Castelino, my wife was studying Housing Issues of Battered Women, we had a
phonecall. The man on the other side wanted to know why Cecilia was not
studying men who were battered. No amount of explaining what the study was
about helped him understand. Not even the fact that there are and have been
other studies that dealt with his question.

Morever, the women who are very empathetic get burned out. This is not a
joke. One cannot believe what they get to hear. A couple of years ago, at
Vasco or Marmagoa undercover police were threathening to rape women
activists. Just imagine that. I am not surprised but it shows you eveything
from the nature of their political patronage and subservience, to misogyny
to perceived class issues.

Infact, it is next to impossible to have kids and even a relationship when
one does such jobs or vocations. This does not mean that women working in
such issues have not had children. It is the same when a woman gets
intensely spiritual (for lack of a better word). I know this stuff like he
back of my hand. So offer the women your suport. Help financially when
possible. Cross reigious lines. If your child or daughter-in-law or wife,
grand-daughters, nieces wish to work in womens issues, encourage them. That
is all I can say.

Please do not get offended by what I have said. One more thing, I feel that
as other Indian women continue hearing of the strength of Goan women -- they
too will be willing to be a part of activism in Goa, bringing with them
further strategies -- in essence strategies to fight those who they
themselves have been a part of in othe states -- having been born in similar
corrupt families (as those in Goa) -- knowing them from the inside. In these
fights towards social change every angle counts. This will happen.

Venantius J Pinto