*Dear friends,*

*The Couple to Couple League of India has introduced for the first time in
India, a course on the Theology of the Body as taught by Christopher West.  The
first weekend seminar was held successfully at Rivona- Goa with 13
participants including 2 married couples, a priest, a nun and 7
singles.   Encouraged
by the enthusiastic response and making a few course corrections, we are
going to have our 2ndand 3rd Seminars from 20 to 22 March at Dasya, Alto
Porvorim and 24-26 April at Pilar, Agassaim.  Though the Theology of the
Body is the landmark catechesis of our dearly beloved Pope John Paul II on
love, sex and marriage, it is not only for married people but for all those
who want to understand the meaning of life and how we must live it.  In
other words it is for for every-body! *

*If you are interested, read on below for the details and get in touch with
us as soon as possible as the number of seats are limited.  Future dates are
yet to be finalised.*

*Regards,*

*The Theology of the Body Team*

*Introduction to the Theology of the Body*

Even though almost 25 years have passed since Pope John Paul II finished
delivering the last talk of his landmark catechesis, known as the Theology
of the Body, very few people have even heard of this teaching.  Yet, for the
sake of the future of humanity, it is of vital importance that this teaching
be made known and be lived by as many people as possible.  The Couple to
Couple League of India has taken up this challenging task by scheduling a
series of seminars on the Theology of the Body.   Starting with an
Introductory Course, more advanced courses will be offered for those seeking
to go further into the study of the Theology of the Body.

What is the Theology of the Body?

Certification Programme

"Introduction to the Theology of the Body" Course

Venues and dates

Charges

Where to register

Supportive Quotes

Contact Us:<cclin...@sancharnet.in?subject=theology%20of%20the%20body%20seminar>

*What is the Theology of the Body?*

The Theology of the Body is the working title Pope John Paul II gave to the
first major teaching project of his pontificate – 129 short talks given
between September of 1979 and November of 1984 – in which he provided a
profoundly beautiful vision of human embodiment and erotic love.

George Weigel, the author of *Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John
Paul II*, says that the Theology of the Body is *"one of the boldest
reconfigurations of Catholic theology in centuries"* – a *"theological
time-bomb set to go off with dramatic consequences ...perhaps in the
twenty-first century."* He admits that the Pope's vision of sexual love *"has
barely begun to shape the Church's theology, preaching, and religious
education."* But when it does, Weigel predicts, *"it will compel a dramatic
development of thinking about virtually every major theme in the Creed"* (pp.
336, 343, 853).

The way we understand the body and the sexual relationship is no mere
footnote in the Christian life but rather *"concerns the whole Bible"*(TOB
69:8). It plunges us into *"the perspective of the whole Gospel, of the
whole teaching, even more, of the whole mission of Christ"* (TOB 49:3).
Christ's mission, according to the spousal analogy of the Scriptures, is to
*"marry"* us. He invites us to live with him in an eternal life-giving union
of love.

This is what the union of the sexes is meant to proclaim and foreshadow –
the eternal union of Christ and the Church. As St. Paul says, quoting from
Genesis, *"'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be
joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' This is a great
mystery, and I mean in reference to Christ and the church" *(Eph 5:31-32).

By helping us understand this profound interconnection between sex and the
Christian mystery, John Paul's theology of the body not only paves the way
for lasting renewal of marriage and the family; it enables everyone to
rediscover *"the meaning of the whole of existence, the meaning of life"* (TOB
46:6)

John Paul II's teaching remains more timely than ever. Pope Benedict has
stated that his "personal mission" is not to issue many new documents, but
to ensure that the teaching of his predecessor is assimilated by the Church.
It is with this aim that the Couple to Couple League of India is offering a
Certification Program intended to *in*form and *trans*form students with the
riches of John Paul II's theology of the body.

*CERTIFICATION PROGRAM*

This Certificate Program is designed both for personal enrichment and to
train Christian educators and leaders – clergy, religious, and lay – to
witness effectively to the life-transforming vision of John Paul II's
theology of the body. It provides an initial or additional credential for
those who seek to teach the theology of the body formally or informally in a
parish, diocesan, and/or classroom setting.

Courses are designed to accommodate the lives of working adults who would be
unable to relocate for full-time study. Unless otherwise indicated, each
class is taught in a weekend 2-day (Friday evening-Sunday evening) intensive
format at various Retreat facilities around Goa -which offer a perfect
setting in which to study, pray, and relax.

John Paul II's extended teaching on the meaning of sexual love and the human
body is not only intellectually stimulating; the truths it proclaims are
inwardly life-changing, especially for those wounded by the lies of our
pornographic culture. This program offers both stimulating academic study *
and* promotes personal integration of the material, helping students journey
"from head to heart."

To that end, most courses contain a "retreat-like" component, with
opportunities for daily Mass, adoration, confession, morning, evening and
night prayer. Students are encouraged to balance study with prayer, academic
writing with prayerful journaling.

*Courses offered/ proposed:*

In 2009: Introduction to the Theology of the Body

            Theology of the Body for Teens (Aug / Sept)

            God's Plan for a Joy-filled marriage (marriage preparation
program for engaged couples) (June / July)

In 2010: Theology of the Body I (Head & Heart Immersion Course)

In 2011: Catholic Sexual Ethics (Study on “Love and Responsibility”)

In 2012: Theology of the Body II (Going deeper into the Theology of the
Body)

*Our Faculty*

Our faculty includes the following speakers, well-known in Goa and India:

Valentine & Anna Coelho: Are certified to teach Natural Family Planning by
the Couple to Couple League International, Co-Directors of the Couple to
Couple League of India, former Consultors to the CCBI Family Commission,
have participated in 3 Certificate Courses at Christopher West's Theology of
the Body Institute, Pennsylvannia, USA.

James Kurien: is well-versed in the Bible and is a popular speaker in the
Archdiocese of Goa.

Milagres Pereira: is known throughout Goa for his Pro-life work including
Pro-life Exhibition, Pro-life Retreats, Pro-life Night Vigils, Pro-life
education in schools, founder of Artists for Life.

*"Introduction to the Theology of the Body" Course:*

This course, based on Christopher West’s *An Introduction to the Theology of
the Body: Discovering God's Master Plan for Your Life*, is an eight-part
study designed to give you a solid understanding of God's plan for humanity
- a plan stamped right into our bodies.  Spread out over 2 days with
sufficient time after each lecture to reflect on study questions in small
groups followed by general discussion time, the course is a comprehensive
system designed to lay a firm foundation for those who desire to incorporate
the Theology of the Body into their daily lives.

Most people have heard the "whats" of Catholic teaching, but very few have
ever heard the "whys".  With profound insights, Christopher West
demonstrates that the Church's teaching on sex and marriage "makes sense"
and, in fact, is the "logic" of Christianity - because it corresponds
perfectly with the deepest stirrings and desires of the human heart.  This
study is for everyone searching for their ultimate purpose in life.

*In this study you will learn:*

·         Why the redemption of our sexuality is the key to happiness.

·         How God's mystery is revealed through the body and spousal love.

·         The truth behind the lies of lust and pornography and how they can
be overcome

·         The language of sexual love.

·         Natural Family Planning (NFP) - a practical way for married
couples to “speak” the language of sexual love.

Note: The first class of NFP will be taught at the seminar and follow-up
sessions will be offered to those who want to complete the series. (Those
who want to teach NFP will be required to attend another seminar or enroll
for on-line training.)

*COMMENTS MADE BY SOME OF THE PARTICIPANTS IN THE FIRST SEMINAR HELD IN
JANUARY 2009:*

“Earlier I had a different way of looking at sexual intercourse. I always
thought sex was the sin that Adam and Eve committed. But now I know what it
is.  And understood the important value of it.” – Young single woman

“Learnt that this was a topic after the late Pope John Paul II’s heart.  Saw
the beauty of the relationship between husband and wife which is a foretaste
of the relationship between God and us in eternity.  – Young single man

“I liked the topic on “Celibacy for the Kingdom” because it has helped me as
a priest to accept my celibacy more.” – Catholic priest

"The seminar helped us to understand our sexuality better and also the
deeper meaning of marriage.".  a married couple

"I now understand my vocation as a nun better that it is an invaluable gift
to the Church" - Catholic nun

* *

*Venues and dates:*

North Goa:

Friday, 20 March to Sunday, 22 March 09 at Dasya, Alto Porvorim

Central Goa:

Friday, 24 April to Sunday, 26 April 09 at Pilar Retreat House, Pilar

More seminars are being planned in this year.

*Timing:* The program will begin in the evening at 6 pm on the first day and
end by 5.30 pm on the third day.

*Charges:* The registration fee will be Rs. 500/- per head for accommodation
on twin-sharing basis plus Rs. 300/- for course materials and seminar
charges. Other additional material like the NFP workbook, thermometer and
chart books will be provided at extra cost.

*Scholarships: *  If you desire a scholarship, please contact us for the
Scholarship application form.

Sponsorships:  If you would like to sponsor a person who cannot afford the
full cost of the seminar please send your contributions to "CCL-India" at
the address mentioned below.

Last date for registration will be 3 days before the date of starting of the
course.
*
*

*Where to register?*

CCL-India,  “Be-Attitudes”,

H. No. 636, Bhatkar Waddo,

Near Porvorim Bazaar P.O. Off NH-17,

Porvorim-Socorro, Bardez Goa 403501.

Ph: 0832-2410565, (Res: 0832-2414628)

Cell: (Anna) 09326128259

Email: cclin...@sancharnet.in

Cheques (DD on a Panjim bank if outside Goa) may be made out to “CCL-India”
and sent to the above address.  Contact us for other modes of payment.**
*
*

*Supportive Quotes:*

*"It is an illusion to think we can build a true culture of human life if we
do not... accept and experience sexuality and love and the whole of life
according to their true meaning and their close inter-connection."*

*John Paul II, The Gospel of Life, n. 97*

*"To make the Church **the home and school of communion**: that is the great
challenge facing us in the millennium which is now beginning, if we wish to
be faithful to God's plan and respond to the world's deepest yearnings."*

*John Paul II, At the Beginning of the New Millennium, n. 43*

--
Valentine (Vally) & Anna Coelho
Visit our blog: http://tob-attitudes.blogspot.com/