What follows is a serialised 3-part story of a recent debate at Goanet. It was
carried
in the ‘Herald’ (Goa) editions between May 8-10, 2009. Happy reading, but if
you’re
threatened with martyrdom from boredom, please don’t click ‘DELETE’ before
you’ve
read the last four Paras at the bottom – they’re gist of the rigmarole that
preceded!
Rgds, v

HOW GOANS ARGUE
By Valmiki Faleiro

The poll is over. People’s verdict lies sealed in EVMs (electronic voting
machines.)
To be opened May 16, after the entire country completes the voting exercise.

The Sunday before polling in Goa, in a postscript to my ‘Herald Mirror’ column,
asking readers to exercise their franchise, I added tongue-in-cheek, “In North
Goa,
you have one for the former (Congress/NCP), one for the latter (BJP). In South
Goa,
you’re luckier. You have one for the former, and a choice of two for the
latter!” I was
obviously alluding to Mathany Saldanha.

That statement miffed Samir Kelekar and sparked a protracted debate on Goanet
(www.goanet.org), the largest internet forum of Goans worldwide. May I share
that
exchange here. Among other things, it shows how we Goans argue our point!

Samir and Uday Barad, who later joined issue, are both about the same age as I.
Both hold doctorates in their fields from the USA. Both hail from Margao like
me. I’ve
met neither in person, but personally knew the dads of both, Gurunath Kelekar
and
the late Govind Barad.

Hardly had my ‘Herald Mirror’ column of April 19 appeared at Goanet, when Samir
fired the first salvo, captioned “Is Mathany communal?” He wrote:

“I am amused to read … Valmiki Faleiro hinting at Mathany's fondness towards
BJP.
The question that needs to be answered is – is Mathany communal? Mathany did
side with BJP as against the Congress. If Mathany gets elected, will he support
BJP
or Congress?

“Mathany has made the following clear in the ‘Herald’ interview yesterday. That
he
will support anyone who has the good of Goa in their heart and in the policies.
Sure
dirty communalism can spring its head up anytime. But, I am sure we can trust
Mathany not to side with Modi's version of politics.”

I replied: “I have not suggested that Mathany is communal. But, please do say,
is
there any doubt who he will support if he wins? Why shelter under ambivalent
utterances like ‘support anyone who has the good of Goa in their heart’? I give
10 out
of 10 to Mathany on loyalty. There's none like him in the breed of Goan
politicos
today. If he wins, I have no doubt who between the UPA and NDA our dear Mathany
will support.”

A Dubai-based gent I know, Cedric da Costa, perched in: “The equation is
simple, we
do not have to go hammer and tongs against Valmiki Faleiro and his Sunday
column.
Every kid in Goa knows that Mathany has volunteered to be a surrogate candidate
to deliver a saffron-blooded baby!”

Samir surprisingly went off at a tangent, saying: “Jesus said – let one who has
not
committed sin throw the first stone. I would like to know the contribution of
the
following to Goa in the past few years: (1) Valmiki Faliero, (2) Digambar
Kamat, and
3) Auduth Timblo. Only when they have done so, they have the right to comment on
Mathany. Otherwise, they ought to shut up!! Jai Hind!”

Surprised that the issue changed from Mathany’s loyalty to my ‘contribution to
Goa,’
under a new title called “Contribution of Valmiki, Digambar, Timblo to Goa” I
said:
“Before you ask, follow your own (quoted) rule and tell us what your own
contribution
to Goa has been ‘in the past few years.’ Then, maybe, I understand what you
want to
know about me. Jai ho!”

To Samir’s call on “contribution to Goa,” the humour columnist Cecil Pinto
wrote:
“Both Valmiki and Digambar have stood in elections for public office and won.
They
have contributed to Goa. I agree with you that Mathany is relatively a better
choice
but if you are asking anyone who is critical to first show what is their
contribution to
Goa then you should do first. What, Samir, is your contribution to Goa and is
more
(or better) than that of the three you have named? (Before Samir asks: my
contribution is to have made a few Goans laugh occasionally.)”

Samir replied: “Cecil says that Valmiki, Digambar have won public office and so
have
contributed to Goa. While I don’t want to comment on specific cases, and I will
take
their answer at face value, Cecil seems extremely naive about the whole concept
of
holding office. The raking of crores on holding office is a criminal activity
and cannot
be by any means called contribution to Goa. Indeed Valmiki himself through his
column told us of crores being raked in by some current ministers.

“As to what are my contributions. They aren’t much but surely whatever little
they are,
I am extremely proud of. As director of Infotech Corporation, I have fulfilled
my duty
keeping in mind the highest tradition of serving the people. Though I could have
easily raked in crores, I not just refused but exposed those who were doing so.
I had
got at least one direct offer to hold another position with an offer to make
crores in
bribe money but I have refused to do so.

“Let Digambar come out in the open and say the same thing about himself and my
vote will be for the Congress. Let Auduth Timblo come out and say he is not
destroying Goa and I will be with him.

“As to Valmiki, I leave it to him to answer the question. Sure I know Valmiki
has
contributed to the public but that was a while back. As we know the situation
has
gone worse in the last few years, the temptations have become more, and it is
more
and more difficult to be upright in these days. Certainly, I am not accusing
Valmiki but
I would have expected him to lead the Save Goa fight. A person with his
experience
was what was needed now. I am wondering why he is taking an ambivalent stand at
this crucial juncture.”

Canada-based attorney (and author of a to-be released book series on Goan
music),
Francis Rodrigues, wafted in: “In a quiet corner of the magnificent St. Paul's
Cathedral on Ludgate Hill in London, is a plaque to Sir Christopher Wren:
"Lector, si
monumentum requiris, circumspice" (reader, if you seek his memorial, look
around).

“Four centuries later, the same wisdom is offered to those who know nothing of
Valmiki, and seek to be enlightened. His selfless record at Margao
Municipality, his
wonderful literary contributions, his concrete stance against corrupt
bureaucracy, his
firm resolve always, stand before him.

“There are none so blind as those who will not see. How apt, that another great
baroque poet from Wren's time, John Milton, penned that marvellous sonnet "On
His
Blindness", to describe just this quandary – that every man has his own station
in life,
and the contribution of many is hidden. Even if you knew nothing of Valmiki,
read
Milton's final lines.”
===(This is the first part of a three-part article. Part II will be published
tomorrow.)===

Unsettled with Samir’s oblique taunt, I carried the debate further, with an
unusually
long reply: “Samir, if your idea of ‘contribution to Goa in recent years’ is to
have got
yourself nominated (by my friend Manohar Parrikar, when a BJP Chief Minister of
Goa) as director of Goa Infotech Corpn and then ‘bitten the hand that fed you’
(with
good reason, I know!), I'm afraid I would have little to say about my own
‘contribution
to Goa in recent years’ – neither Parrikar nor Digambar deigned me fit to be
appointed director on any state Corporation :-)

“That apart, I would never blow my own trumpet to tell you and Goanet (what I've
done or failed to do.) If truth be told, I think I have 'contributed' nothing.
What I did
when Municipal President of Margao in 1985-87, you ought to have known – or
found
out from old timers among the citizenry, councillors, perhaps even municipal
employees themselves ... who hated me while I was in the chair, but I'm told
feel
differently today.

“Why, you could have asked your own dad, who was a prominent Trustee of the
'Novem Goem Pratisthan' – at least he might have remembered how I got the then
Council (that included present ministers like Digambar Kamat and Babu Azgaonkar,
and former ministers like Luis Alex Cardoso) to adopt a policy that the
municipality's
advertising must go primarily to local newspapers ... Rashtramat & Novem Goem,
both, alas, defunct.

“You could have phoned friends who lived in Margao in 1985-87, who might have
told
you that this rascal ‘contributed’ nothing, but did make a slight difference to
their
experience with officials/staff when they visited the municipal offices on
work. Or
people in Malbhat or some other former pigsty places round town ... that one
today
even boasts of a noted hospital chain in India.

“You made me open my mouth. But pointers are only what I will provide.

“On your parting thought on me, may I ask, do you take me for a crusader? The
Crusades happened long ago! This is the era of hard politics, money, and
whatever
more it takes. I'm not made of the stuff fit to be a politician. That's one
reason I
politely declined election tickets from established political parties, to
contest the Goa
Assembly polls from Margao. I will not name names (and embarrass friends who are
around), but if you enquire enough locally, you will know I'm speaking the
truth.

“Are you suggesting that Digu Kamat and Avdhoot Timblo have done no good to Goa
at all? I'm not saying they are saints – are you and I?

“Take a break. Come to Goa. Ask around. Try and delve into the record of former
MLAs from Margao. Heaven bless them, none are around, save my esteemed senior
friend, Udaybab Bhembre. Then tell me who's done most for Margao.

“Avdhoot Timblo. Granted, a mineowner (who may like to regard himself a nature
farmer, of mineral ore.) You and I, and uncles and aunts, have some money. Have
you – not me, to be sure – spared however a tiny of fraction of it for any
‘contribution’
to Goa? To keep for posterity a bit of Goan culture – like cuisine, music,
folklore? At
least Anju & Avdhoot have, like Shivanand & Dattaraj (never mind the 'Prince,'
Anil.)

“Please don't take a world view with the goggles of a horse. There's a limit to
demonising people...”

Dr. Jose Colaco, the pediatric from Nassau, The Bahamas, piped in, “Normally,
when
Valmiki says/writes something, I dare not challenge him. Alas, today, I must –
for I
believe that Valmiki is not stating the truth. Valmiki says he has contributed
nothing.
And yet, I read his contributions every week. Columns and columns is what Greek
and Roman architecture is all about. That is what Valmiki does every week.
Contribute columns. And yet, he says he is not contributing.”

At this point Uday Barad joined the debate. “Are we up to discussing a joke
about
trios who are projecting themselves as savers of Goa? If so, I take liberty to
explain
this joke in nutshell. Timblo is finishing Goa at one end and projecting
himself that he
is for welfare of Goa at other! Digambar helps Timblo for all his misdeeds by
even
passing special ordinance to protect Timblo to circumvent Supreme Court orders!!
And Valmiki is doing good patch-up work to calm down Goans on all the misdeeds
done by Timblo & Digambar!!!”

The writer (and another author-in-making), UK-based Selma Carvalho chirped in,
“Barad, at least we know there is one sort of patch-up work Valmiki has not
done.
Posting articles by others and pretending they are his own work.”

Uday responded, “Selma, writing articles or posting articles of others or
writing
provocations can in no way save Goa.....And if you have made contributions to
save
Goa than the trio in question please let Goanet know about it!”

I replied to both, “Dear Selma and Uday, I can't be harsh with people like Uday
and
Samir. It's pointless discussing with those who keep shifting their premises.
Uday
postgraduates me from questions about being a ‘contributor’ to Goa in recent
times,
to being its “saver” – in league with my friend, Churchill Alemao. But let's
give Uday
his due. He spoke of an assumed joke (and I hope Samir won't take offence at
being
adduced as the joker!)”

Samir came in again: “Hi Valmiki, thanks for an elaborate response. Obviously,
your
great experience in the public field shows in your response. However, first a
few
points to clarify:

“Thanks for setting the record straight. Though I know of your contributions
vaguely,
the point is I was out of India from 1985 onwards, so I wouldn’t know the
details. You
are indeed someone a lot of people look up to because of your past
contributions.

“Thanks for honestly admitting that you are not fit to be a politician, but
don’t you
think the situation is dire enough in Goa for someone like you – even if you
don’t
deem yourself fit – to jump into, especially since you do have past experience
of
public work? Wouldn’t Goa be a much better place if you had accepted the MLA
ticket that you talk about?

“As for Digu and Timblo, your points are well taken. I know Timblo means well
in a lot
of ways and does huge philanthropy too, but I believe the current destruction of
Western Ghats in the name of mining just cancels all that and much more.

“I wonder what your views are on the following. Temperatures rising, water
tables
going down, greenery going off all due to hundreds of mining leases that are
given
out. Don’t you think mining needs to be stopped and alternate ways of
development
thought of? Ditto with mega-projects and building? Same with Digu. Aren't in
other
words Digu and Timblo presiding over Goa's destruction?”
===(This is the second part of a three-part article. Part I was published
yesterday
and Part III will follow tomorrow.)===

Kuwait-based Rabindra Pimenta, son of Goa’s first (1963) MLA from Curtorim,