Sangath, www.sangath.com, is one of Goa's leading NGOs.

Sangath is looking to build a centre for services, training and research
       and is looking to buy land of approx 1500 to 2000 sq mtrs
       betweeen Mapusa and Bambolim and surrounding rural areas

If you have land to sell, please contact:

contac...@sangath.com or yvo...@sangath.com or phone +91-9881499458

http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-July/180028.html

Rajiv writes:
>i have observed with keen interest the back and forth on the activities of
>>cedric prakash. nothing i have read so far convinces me that he stands for >a
>positive cause. all his platitudes about human rights and social justice >are
>planks in a long discredited platform, especially in the age of >genuine
>liberalism (which prakash and his leftist and jholewala supporters >call
>'neo-liberalism'). as leaders of the world's two largest democracies, >sonia
>gandhi and barack obama have revived the liberal cause that prakash >and his
>ilk had expropriated.

>like medha patkar's, his is an oppositional mentality: he opposes modi and
>>the bjp (and so do we all), he opposes the congress; he opposed the >indo-us
>nuclear deal; he opposes all forms of development. his ideology >seems to a
>confused mix between the left that stands for very little but >knee jerk
>diatribes against capitalism (especially the usa) and the hind >swaraj mindset
>that excoriates modernity (seen as something that is not >indian). as such
>cedric prakash has no appreciation for the two most >transformative forces of
>the 20th century: capitalism and modernization.

>he can get the 'alternate nobel' for what it's worth. but he remains today >a
>destructive force in gujarat and indeed in the rest of india; especially
>>among us liberals.

People who have no clue on creative, environmentally sustainable development
but only know greed destroy the environment (mining is
an example) or rivers and lifestyles of lakhs of poor people for their
own selfish ends. If that is what the 20 th century has taught us as
a modern concept, then we havent learnt anything from the 20 th century.
In India, these concepts of so called development are combined with corruption,
lack of rehabilitation when tribals are displaced. Why, because we need
more cars, or more water for our consumption. What we will do with more
cars or more water, God alone knows.

These are the real destructive forces of today because their greed for
earth's resources are infinite. The West having screwed up the earth
is now waking up to the issue and happily uses the Third World's resources now
to satisfy its infinite greed --- consider garbage disposal of the West  to
Africa. In fact, some of the trash from  9/11 has landed up in Chennai, I am
told.

Wealth is not created by destroying the earth; in fact, we will get further
impoverished. A few people have had the conviction to stand up to this.
Medha Patkar is one of them. Such people who talk sense are then dismissed as
anti-development. However, those who invest in producing more cars thus
gobbling up all the steel, or mining companies such as Vedanta which
destroy eco-sensitive areas such as the Sahyadris are touted as
pro-development. What a travesty of the concept of development!

regards,
Samir