* G * O * A * N * E * T *** C * L * A * S * S * I * F * I * E * D * S *

Sangath, www.sangath.com, is looking to build a centre for services, training
and research and seeks to buy approx 1500 to 2000 sq mtrs land betweeen Mapusa
and Bambolim and surrounding rural areas. Please contact: contac...@sangath.com
or yvo...@sangath.com or ph+91-9881499458
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-July/180028.html

The Accidental Activist - Creepy Crawlies

By Venita Coelho

My maids think that I am very strange. They are completely forbidden to kill
any
snakes they encounter in or outside the house. We regularly have snakes falling
from
the roof. I merely pick up a broom and gently sweep them into the garden. The
bais
are amazed that we don't do what everyone does - which is batter them to death
on
sight.

They should have seen us five years ago when we had our first encounter with a
snake
in Goa. Mother and I were chatting with a visitor from Mumbai when we suddenly
saw a
snake on the floor. With one accord, visitor and all, we leapt on the sofa
together
and shrieked. I climbed over assorted furniture, never touching a foot to the
floor
and got to the phone. I begged the man from Green Rescue to save us. The snake
meanwhile dived under a trunk. Our saviour arrived on a bicycle. He looked
about
thirteen years old and was covered in pimples. He strolled into the house,
found the
snake, picked it up and put it in his pocket. Then he strolled out again,
whistling - leaving three very stunned and sheepish people standing on the
sofa. It
had been a harmless grass snake.

The first monsoon I spent in Moira, we hadn't finished the work on the house.
The
cupboards were without doors and many of the windows had nothing but grills on
them.
I had just accepted a work assignment in Mumbai and my Goa friends gave  me a
'good
luck' dinner where the wine flowed freely. I stumbled into the house late at
night
to be greeted by hysterical dogs. They were barking and jumping up and down and
frantically signaling that something was wrong. In my fuddled state, I just
chucked
them out of the bedroom and locked the door. I woke the next morning to find
that a
lot of things from my cupboard were lying on the floor. I picked them up and
threw
them back in, and was turning away when I suddenly thought 'uh oh - that shelf
has
eyes'. Not just eyes, but one large bulging coil. I could tell from the
markings
that it was a python. Frantic calls to Green Rescue produced a teenager with
dreadlocks, our pimpled friend, and one assistant.  The python had his cozy
snooze
rudely interrupted. Irritated, he uncoiled his entire length and my heart
stopped.
He was twenty foot long and fat around the middle. The youngest assistant took
one
look and dived out of the door. The dogs squeaked and vanished. The two
rescuers
struggled to get the snake under control. He was one long length of pure
powerful
muscle. Finally they wrestled him into a sack and carried him off to release
him in
the forest. What a story I had to tell at my first day of work in Mumbai!

I made up my mind that I had to start recognizing the snakes of Goa if I was
not
going to die young of heart failure. There are only three poisonous snakes in
Goa -
the cobra, the common krait, and the Russells viper. Buy Rahul's book - 'The
Call of
the Snake' - and you can learn to recognize them in no time. The harmless ones
are
easily dealt with - just sweep them off into the garden. For the poisonous ones
there is always Green Rescue or Rahul Alvares.  The book also tells you how to
snake
proof your house, if you don't have my casual attitude to living with them.

In the last six months I have dealt with eight snakes. Most of them we found
sitting
bewildered in the middle of the living room floor. The living room roof
obviously
houses a nest, but I am loath to remove it. They are all harmless grass snakes
and I
really don't mind sharing my space with them. Scorpions are another matter. But
then
again, scorpions are what first convinced me that I had to learn to live with
all
the creepy crawlies that would wander into my life.

New to Goa, unused to dealing with things with more than two legs, when I found
huge six inch scorpion on the floor I fetched a broom and whacked it. The
scorpion
cringed back and raised its two front legs to ward off the blows. Futilely it
tried
to save itself from the broom. I stopped, unable to continue hitting it, shaken
by
the thought that this creature too wanted to live. But by that time the
scorpions
back was broken. I gritted my teeth and delivered the death blow - and swore
that no
creature would ever be killed in my house again.

A few months ago there was perfect silence from baby. That always means
trouble. I
found her crouched in the corner, gently patting a huge black scorpion. 'Bua'
she
explained to me, her word for any insect. All the scorpion was doing was
backing
away from her. It had no intention of attacking, it just wanted to get away
from its
tormentor. I grabbed baby. Then I got the broom and swept the scorpion out of
the
house. If I needed any proof that scorpions are indeed shy, harmless creatures,
got it that day.

So the next time you encounter a snake or a scorpion go ahead and reach for the
broom - but only to sweep it out into the garden. Why kill something that is
every
bit as Goan as you are?    (ENDS)

The above article appeared in the July 21, 2009 edition of the Herald, Goa