               August 25, 2009 - Goanet's 15th Anniversary

CRZ a windfall for sarpanchas and secretaries
Hon. Minister Jairam Ramesh
Union Ministry of Environment and Forest(MoEF)

Sub.: Saves Our Houses!

Sir
Faced with the dreadful threat of losing our homes, life and livelihood, we the
villagers of Galgibaga, Mashem and Talpona in Canacona taluka wish to submit
our case for your compassionate consideration and review.
On the demolition notices capriciously sent to us by our panchayats we wish to
submit that:
The recent High Court directive for demolition of illegal structures in the No
Development Zone (0-200) from High Tide Line (HTL) built post CRZ notification
of 1991 came as a windfall to the reigning sapanchas and secretaries of Coastal
Village Panchayats.
The Coastal Village Panchayats (CVP) of Poinguinim and Loliem subjectively and
conveniently drew up a demolition list and sent demolition notices to the
people after the High Court threatened to take action against sarpanchas and
secretaries for non-compliance of its orders for demolition of illegal
structures in the No Development Zone (0-200) from High Tide Line (HTL) built
post CRZ notification of 1991.
As per the Court order, Coastal Village Panchayats were required to act against
illegal structures in NDZ (0-200) from the HTL after giving individual hearing
to the affected party. But contrary to the Court directive, demolition notices
were issued subjectively just to show compliance of the Court order without
giving due representation to the affected people and stakeholders including
coastal community members including fishermen.
The CVPs obviously took the Court order seriously only after they came
under fire for non-compliance of the Court orders and in most cases issued show
cause notices against all structures in NDZs irrespective of whether they were
built prior to 1991 or post CRZ notification.
In most cases Show Cause orders were issued in too crude a manner, without
mentioning correct survey number, and sub-division number of the suit property.
The demolition list of 40 structures is highly subjective, unfair,
politically-motivated and whimsical. While 10 residential houses have been
served demolition orders, the others are Stores -  12; Distilleries – 4; Room –
3; Bars – 2; Shop – 2; Garage – 2; Kitchen  - 1; Shed – 1; W.C. – 1; Cow shed –
1; Hut – 1.
A poor family’s renovated traditional house with two adjacent wings for two
brothers  and their occupational space, even where it is their only means of
livelihood, comes under the demolition threat either due to lack of political
clout or lack of money power leaving them totally at the mercy of a
self-seeking local body like the village panchayat.
If the mandate is not endorsed fully by the people, both who live in the
protected zone as well as the elected representatives and officials, than the
developments cannot be socially and ecologically just.
We respectfully submit that concern for the issues of the coastal communities
and their well being is a prerequisite for environmental protection.
We are sure we would be allowed to live in peace in our houses with our heads
held high and without fear of ever being homeless.
Sincerely
Aggrieved Villagers

      See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out
Yahoo! Buzz. http://in.buzz.yahoo.com/