Dear Manuel ,

Sorry! I may have replied in haste but no offense intended.  I respect 99%
of your views. Have the same opnion as you But I differ a bit because my
grand father too left Goa in the beginning of the last century for the
north of India and that's where he made his life in place in UP  like Bina
, Jhansi etc etc and finally settled in Mumbai. So I would find it very
hypocritical if I were to say ban immigration into Goa as a whole. Goans
come under the category of Cultured immigrants , as you will notice every
pocket in Mumbai that was first inhabited by Goan's have mushroomed into
famous Suburbs, unfortunately we are now reduced to minority in these
suburbs (e.g Santa Cruz , Bandra)

What we should be cautious of is the low skilled category of migrants who
come in the form of watchmen , hawkers , small shop owners ( Gado ) .They
are the ones who create all the trouble in the form of crime & sanitation
issues. In fact the demolition of their shanties in the right step in the
right direction or else one day you will find Soniaji descend from Goa and
declare all the illegal shanties as legal. You will have another Dharavi
in Goa.

Your politicians ---- are amongst the most corrupt, RTI should be  used as
a very powerful tool to demand accountability from them. You have to
create the right industries to retain your fellow Goans . Why do we insist
on tourism only ?  We have the mines , then why can't we have the
factories producing the iron.& steel
We should stop this plunder as you say .  Can't we become an IT hub .....
What stops us ? the center has given you tax incentive but why do
factories exist only
in paper but not on ground?

Last but most important I hate this Goan attitude of desire of all things
foreign .... They even cling on to Portugal just for a  passport to Europe
and from there to America. My Mom still has her Portuguese passport, But
this has been kept for antique value , I love collecting antiques.

Honestly my husband has spent quiet some years abroad on UN postings . The
feedback I got is that Indian's abroad go to any extent to save a fistful
of dollars,They wont mind sharing accommodation with people they would
consider lowly back in their own mother land. But when they come to Goa (
India) they go all out to show that they are one up on their fellow men
back home. By Gods grace , I can assure you that if you have the talent
and patience you can have more money and better life than your fellow
Goans abroad. Its just that some people think that the grass on the other
side is greener and when they realize it is not , they try to fool the
fellow Goans back home.

I would want to return back to Goa , I do have my ancestral property but I
fear for cousins who may resurrect  from the grave and claim their share.
Hence I have purchased my own flat in Goa. Purchase of land is beyond me
because of the legal problems ( compounded by the Portuguese law that
daughters have a stake in parental property) and of course property sharks
from outside Goa offer you a better deal so naturally my fellow goans
would prefer selling off to them.

I am shocked that very few Goans join the Civil services unlike people
from  UP, Punjab , Bihar & the south . As a result you have Babus who have
no knowledge and Love for Goa, run your state administration. That's why
they are in nexus with your politicians. We should encourage our Youth to
Go in
for such services in order to retain them and improve our lot. We have a
huge task ahead of us of changing the Goan mind set which favors migration
out of Goa. Then only can we achieve as I said,.

Firstly : Stop! your own fellow  Goans from leaving Goa for other lands.

Second : Retain them by creating opportunities / Making them  realize the
opportunities that lie in Goa itself.

Other part of the country like the North East etc too are as beautiful as
Goa and they too face the same problem as we .They have the Bangladeshi's
& Biharis who come and dirty the place .They readily work for a lower
salary .

I have two kids and do not want them to Migrate abroad , but would prefer
that they join the civil & allied services preferably from the Goa
Cadre.Currently they are motivated too , but the future no one can tell.
Just hope wishes are horse......

Regards

Cheryl

Confidentiality Notice :
"The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to
this message are intended for the exclusive use  of the addressee(s) and  may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the  intended
recipient , please  notify  the sender at  SHCIL  or
postmas...@stockholding.com & immediately  destroy all copies of this message."