The slogan "Goa to be ruled by Goans' may sound very attractive and exciting.
It is a perfect subject for mental masturbation. Besides this, it offers
excellent campaign material for aspiring politicians to entice the voters
during election.
We had the Goa Election 2007 fought on the 'Save Goa' slogan. Now for the  next
Assembly election it could be 'Rule Goa' as the slogan. And you may suddenly
have a Rule Goa Party which will be merged back into Congress after the
assembly polls. Forget that the miseries of goans have not diminished a bit
from 2007 till 2010. The Regional Plan 2021 will be out any moment. The last
time it was Babush who was the culprit for a monstrous plan. Who will it be
this time? Will we have the guts to hold the architects and engineers of Save
Goa fame who have been responsible for crafting this new plan. Do you exopect
it to be any different with the likes of Dattas and Deans on the panel.
Shortly, we will all humbly submit before the government to yet another
entertainment. The celebration of our Golden Jubilee of liberation. We will
have some jokers from margao who will come to town with their circus. You will
be told how as goans you have not assimilated yourself into the Indian
mainstream. There will be programs to help you goans to inculcate a spirit of
nationalism. All this will be swallowed without a whimper of protest.
As long as goans cannot think beyond Sonia Gandhi, Manohar Parrikar and Oscar
Rebello, the day they will  rule their own land will never come. Like the
Israelites in captivity it will be the Gawade or Ramani or Gupta or Parekh that
will rule.
Self-rule is not about wearing a T-shirt and TV appearances. It is about
sacrifice, deprivation of self, spirituality, pain, ................... How
many goans are ready to give up their comforts for this? If there are, it is
worth talking otherwise it will be only adding to item numbers in the movie.

-Soter

Now available in Toronto, a few copies of *Into The Diaspora Wilderness* by
Selma Carvalho. Contact Bosco D'Mello
bo...@goanet.org (416) 803-7264
http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/