BJP, A PARTY WHICH "SETS INDIANS AGAINST INDIANS", CHARGES SONIA AT GOA RALLY

PANAJI (Goa), May 23: Resurgent from the party's recent upswing and hoping
for positive results from Goa, Congress leader Sonia Gandhi took a
hard-line stance against the BJP, calling it a party which "sets Indians
against Indians, and practises the politics of hate".

Speaking at a well attended party rally in Goa, prior to this state's
critical May 30 polls, Sonia said the Congress would support efforts to
tackle "cross-border terrorism", but added that Indians needed "to be aware
of those unprincipled elements who may bring more divisions in our society,
among our people".

Blasting the BJP soundedly, she charged that that party "and its
ideological partner, the RSS have so wilfully trampled on the principles
which we cherish -- including democracy and secular republicanism which
were the guiding notions set up by our Constitution's founding fathers".

Mrs Gandhi's strong comments in Goa came a day before a crucial party meet
scheduled for Delhi, even as the country is caught up with worries over a
possible war with Pakistan over the issue of terrorism in the northern
state of Kashmir.

She hit out at the BJP for going against "democracy" and bringing down,
thoughr defections, the Congress government in Goa which had secured the
majority to rule in the last June 1999 elections. "They brought down their
own government (headed by Manohar Parrikar, fearing an impending party
revolt) and wrongly dissolved the assembly," she added, referring to the
controversial moves of Governor Mohd Fazal.

She accused the BJP for running a "partisan government at the Centre".
Sonia Gandhi added: "In few states they rule, they are making a mockery of
the principle of equality for all citizens. BJP looks at different
religions, different classes, different castes in a different way."

"Recent events have exposed how the RSS and their allies have tarnished the
land of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. Gujarat has been an
assault on basic human values. Efforts were made to spread hatred among
different communities", she added.

"BJP is capable in only one area -- doublespeak. (The Prime Minister) said
something here about a certain community. They went to Delhi and changed
it. The mask they put on their face keeps slipping off," a combatative
Sonia added. She was speaking at the very same Campal Grounds, an
under-utilised sporting centre and its annexe on Panaji's outskirts, where
Prime Minister Vajpayee had made his controversial speech about Muslims and
terrorism during the BJP's national executive in Goa last month.

Said Sonia: "These are the people who talk about morality in public life.
There is no morality among them -- in New Delhi, Goa or whereever the BJP
is in government. It's better they stop giving the Congress party lectures
on morality. We know where they stand."

Sonia stressed that the Congress was in power in 14 of India's 28 states.
"In Karnataka, Kerala, Pondicherry, Maharashtra, MP, Chattishgarh, Punjab,
Delhi, Uttranchal, Arunachal, Nagaland, Manipur and elsewhere, we are doing
our best to see that the needs of the people are addressed," she said.

She added that May 30's Goa elections -- incidentally the first after the
Gujarat carnage, which earned the BJP a lot of flak -- were "very crucial
for Goa and very crucial for the Congress party".

Lacing her brief speech with a sharp push to the voters in Goa to back the
Congress, Mrs Gandhi argue that the "history of modern Goa is very closerly
interlinked with the Congress party". She said it was her party that took
the "decisive step" in ending Portuguese rule here in 1961, while "my
mother-in-law" Indira Gandhi   had decided on the Opinion Poll (where the
people voted against merger with nearby Maharashtra), and also Konkani had
been granted national language status by Rajiv Gandhi.

"Wise people of Goa will vote in favour of religious tolerance and communal
harmony, which is so deeply rooted here. I am sure they will vote to
promote and maintain social peace and amity," she said. (ENDS)

To unsubscribe from Goanews Send a mail message to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line:
'unsubscribe goanews'