10QUESTIONS*************************************************************

FROM THE U.N. TO THE ISLAND OF CHORAO: THE POWER OF VOLUNTEERING

>From the UN to an island, Alwyn Noronha (46) has opted for a life in Chorao,
a tiny island-village off the Goa capital of Panjim. This returned expat is
now helping the local St Bartholomew School with sprucing up and boosting
its computer education facilities.

Born in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), he came to Goa at the age of 10 and
studied at Don Bosco's, Almeida's, Loyola's and Dhempe's. For a while, he
tried being a medical rep at Bombay. "They threw me out. Sales in my area
had plunged. From that time I realised I should never do anything involving
people," he laughs.

But his ticket was already booked to go to Vienna, where his uncle was
based. He worked at the Austrian Information Service for Development
Politics, an NGO there; and the International Institute for Applied Systems
Analysis, which he calls a 'Cold War' institution, at Laxenburg, outside
Vienna. Next, he used his computer skills at the UNIDO (UN Industrial
Development Organisation), and finally he spent at decade at the UNOV (UN
Office in Vienna).

Today, after returning back to Goa with wife Lisa Dias-Noronha and family,
he's volunteering with the Goa Linux-for-Schools venture, being supported by
local volunteers and expats like the Goa Sudharop (www.goasudharop.org).
Alwyn represents the skills that an expat-oriented society like Goa could
tap, and productively utilise, if only the structure existed for this.
Schools in this state have already received a limited number of computers
from the regional government. But much more efforts are required if these
computers are to be augmented with more, to offer better resources to
the average student across the state. That's where people like Alwyn fit in.

Excerpts from an interview with the soft-spoken, man of few words....

FN: What motivated you to get involved with this project?

To tell you the truth, I got dragged into it. The PCs were coming here anyway
(to the village school, through a donor-project started by expats). I would
be here, anyway. And my wife Lisa was already involved in the school a
couple of years back, through a waste-management project. We've already made
some investment of time in the school with its library project (with books
shipped in from Austria in the past).

FN: What are your plans as far as the computers go?

To make sure they are used well.

FN: How will you manage that?

We hope to supplement with teaching help. My contribution would be anything
we can do in improving the situation, increasing the number of PCs,
organising training material... above all, actually spending time here.

FN: What has been the attitude of the school?

Very positive, extremely cooperative. Everything required (was made
available on time). Funds were managed. Fittings for the computer room was
done quickly, thanks to a cooperative principal and staff. (This has not
been the experience with all other schools benefited from donated equipment,
though. -FN)

FN: What is the big challenge facing Goa's schools trying to offer students
more access to computers?

I know too little on this. This is my first involvement in computer
education in schools anywhere, not just in Goa. So we will see what the
problems are...I haven't had any problems so far.

FN: How does Goa's schools ensure optimum utilisation of computers?

We want to see after they've done word-processing and spread-sheets what
else could be done. Internet connectivity, and setting up local websites...

FN: Do you think students would have a problem with the GNU/Linux Operating
System, since it's somewhat different from Windows?

Basically no. I've never seen LTSP (a networking tool, using a local server,
to share lower-powered computing resources more efficiently) in action, and
haven't used Star Office. (Alwyn is into Lotus Notes, etc) But we will
install and see.

FN: Why is computer education important for the student in Goa today?

At this level, it's just exposure that is needed. So that you've seen and
used computers, not just heard about it. Of course, anything new you learn
only broadens your horizons.

It's a whole new toy. We then need someone who can teach simple programming
languages. I always feel making big plans is not good. You have to go step
by step. We first need to learn to type with ten fingers. Once that is over
(move on to other things like) word-processing and spread-sheets and further
on.

FN: What model do you think would help Goa's schools get faster access to
quality computer education? Should it be based on self-help, the involvement
of expats?

At this point, what is needed is (locally-generated) self-help. There has to
be someone to teach students (imaginatively). I'm sure they'll pick up fast.
At a latter stage, we can think of getting bigger.

FN: What role could expats play now? Some have supported certain schools
from the villages which they themselves trace their roots to...