Again, I want to clarify the file does arrive in the browser, but I want to
ensure the "file->save..." dialog appears in the web browser when it
arrives.  I found some older code I wrote a couple of years ago that was
behaving as expected:
    w.Header().Set("Content-Type", "application/octet-stream")
    w.Header().Set("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" +
myBasePdf + ".pdf")
    http.ServeFile(w, req, myGenPdfFileName)

I acknowledge when I wrote this email I made a typo, but in my code I do
have the Itoa correctly.
w.Header().Set("Content-Length", strconv.Itoa( len(myCmdOutput) ) )
I never used that content-length field because I read somewhere that I
shouldn't.

Last night I took a look at iris to see how they do it and found:
https://github.com/kataras/iris/blob/master/context.go#L583
err := ctx.ServeFile(filename, false)
if err != nil {
return err
}

ctx.RequestCtx.Response.Header.Set(contentDisposition, "attachment;filename=
"+destinationName)

I am scratching my head since the header set content-disposition is
happening after the ServeFile which is different from what all the docs and
what I am used to seeing.  It seems calling these functions are
order-independant.  When does the connection actually send the file over
the connection?

I believe the Iris send file also provides what I want as expected
behaviour, but I haven't tried it yet.