As one would want a clean Go library, I think this library should be
implemented from scratch in Go - there is also a better chance to get a
really good performing library, if it is designed in Go and not in C. One
obvious thing is, to do all heavy computations in parallel via goroutines.

Finally, there is the licensing question - only when implementing from
scratch, one is free to choose the license for the library. I would
strongly argue in favor of using one of the BSD/MIT licenses, as these are
the most commonly used licenses in the Go community and impose the least
friction for interaction and usage.

Peter

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Jonathan Pittman <
jonathan.mark.pitt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe not an organization on github, not for just this.  I could see a
> google group, but I am not sure about that either.  We have golang-nuts
> already.
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Guy Allard <allard.gu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For how to go about discussion:
>>
>> would a google group work?
>>
>> Or possibly an organization on github?
>>
>> Personally I could go with almost anything.
>>

>> On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 11:09:12 PM UTC-4, Jonathan Pittman
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For some reason I did not get the last 3 updates until this one.  Weird.
>>>
>>> So, I have looked over a number of packages that parse tiff files.
>>> While, at the most basic level, they all have to do the same sort of
>>> things, each one also approaches the situation a little differently.  And
>>> more so, the end result tends to be for custom use cases.
>>>
>>> I already have code up on github
>>> <https://godoc.org/jonathanpittman.com/tiff>.  You will have to excuse
>>> my lack of good documentation and tests.  I was originally planning to just
>>> do a proof of concept for how this might work.  So, it needs some cleaning
>>> up.  I am also in the process of making some changes to it including the
>>> LICENSE.  No pull requests at this time please, but do have a look if you