On Saturday, 13 August 2016 17:22:29 UTC+2, Peter Herth wrote:

> Having a parallel version of the raw converter could yield conversion
> times far faster then the original C. And it would be a neat Go library to
> have.

For the biggest part, I would not expect you to be able to beat C code, for
that there is too much pointer arithmetic going on. The forced bounds
checks will probably eat around 20% of your speed. The Go 1.7 SSA compiler
will however help bringing us to the 20% overhead.

In terms of multithreading - only a few formats can be decoded
multithreaded. Most formats are some sort of LJPEG, where every pixel
depends on previous data - forcing you to do single threaded decoding. DNG
being the only "big" exception.

For uncompressed formats, you are just moving bits, so multithreading gives
you little advantage. RawSpeed has multithreaded decoding of images where
it is possible.

/Klaus