I generally favor "external test packages", that is having "_test" as a
suffix to my test package names.
For example, "package foo" (foo.go) would have a test file (foo_test.go)
named "package foo_test"

I do so under the belief that it forces me to test against my package's
public interface and prevents any test functions from accidentally being
called in the main package.

Are those correct assumptions? Do you mostly use "external test packages"?

Also, are all test files (*_test.go) NOT compiled into the build?