In reading deeper, is the post saying to put my fork at the canonical path
locally.

So I'd clone my fork, *github.com/me/foo* to *github.com/original/foo*
*locally*
But setup the git remote to push to *github.com/me/foo*

Then locally, I would use the fully-qualified import path of
import (
 "github.com/original/foo/internal/bar
<http://github.com/me/foo/internal/bar>"
)

Is that the right workflow?
So now it should work locally and with the pull request, but won't the fork
be broken? If for example, someone forks or clones my github repo the
import path won't work?