Yes, that would be the correct approach. And yes, the fork wouldn't be
go-gettable, but it isn't supposed to be long-lived or go-got anyway; it's
a fork to do a pull-request.
If you want to do an actual fork (not what github calls a fork, but what
the open source community calls a fork), you are creating a new project
which should have a different name from the forked project and as such
should have the import paths rewritten.