On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 3:14:07 AM UTC+1, Steve Francia wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 7:49:32 PM UTC-4, Florin Pățan wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The idea is good but:
>> - it needs to modify the path to add GOROOT/bin and GOPATH/bin to it
>>
> It does. If it didn't do this you've found a bug. Please report it.

I'll have a look at it again. Thank you.

> - it should allow for multiple versions of Go to be installed
>> simultaneously (including 1.x.y vs 1.x.z versions)
>>
> Out of scope for this tool, though it can do it with passing along flag
> arguments

If you want this to become the de facto way to install Go, then it's a
must, not out of scope.
Many people want to test a newer version of Go before switching to it,
being forced to run a single version of Go because of this "installer" will
not make anyone happy and will only serve to complicate things further.

> - it should change the PATH on all three OSes regardless of the shell
>> used, which is the hardest part I guess (as this is the part that trips
>> over most of the people, along with the GOPATH requirement)
>>
> There's no such thing. ENV variables are shell specific. The PATH is
> defined in the shell initialization script on *nix. It literally tells the
> shell what directories to look in. On Windows it does this as the PATH is
> set by an OS call directly. Unfortunately bash on Windows ignores it.

I meant, it has to provide support for changing the bash.rc, zsh.rc and
other popular shells.