On 2017-08-25 05:38, buchanae.o...@gmail.com wrote:
> - We create a child logger instance which has the ID preconfigured, and
> pass that to some function calls. [3]

I think several log packages has the feature build in.

> instances everywhere. I think we can make either work, and so far
> neither is an obvious choice. What do you think?

IMHO ideally, you should use local logger instances. But that of course
only becomes gradually more relevant the larger and more modularized the
application becomes.

> A third, interesting option might be to add all logging configuration to
> the context using context.Value,

I'd prefer this option in many cases. However, I probably wouldn't put
formatting preferences into context.Value.

A third way to use flexible logging is to have a global logger registry
like the python "logging" package where each part of the code can
acquire its logger with GetLogger(name). Loggers are then arranged in a
hierarchy so you don't have to configure formatting for each individually.

/Peter