I can replicate this on another newer RHEL machine. In both cases the
machines are quiet (they are the head nodes of HPC infrastructure and
don't see a great deal of work due to the HPC use policy.

I have tried building previous versions and see similar though
different failures going back to 1.7 (where I stopped). In those cases
there is also a timeout, and waiting for things seems also to be the
issue.

Should I file an issue? Suggested title? Should I post stack traces for
previous versions?

thanks