On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dan Kortschak
<dan.kortsc...@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Trying today, the roles of the machines have reversed; the one failing
> on Friday passed today and vice versa. The passing test:
>
> ```
> $ time go test -test.short cmd/go
> ok      cmd/go  339.070s
>
> real    5m45.804s
> user    1m38.821s
> sys     0m49.390s
> ```
>
> The version is a lie - there is a change to malloc.go increasing the
> heap size to 1TiB, but no other change and without that change I have
> seen the same behaviour.
>
> (I have had a response from one of the admins and the head is a VM
> where there may be fs contention - the time result below supports
> this).
>
> The failing test (time:real 10m43.407s user 0m42.286s sys 8m9.984s):

10 minutes is the default timeout, so that's why that run failed.

5 minutes, the time shown above, is an extraordinarily long time to
take to run this test.  On my laptop the test takes about one minute.

I don't think there is any deep problem here, I think your machines
are just much slower than expected.  Or, rather, if there is a deep
problem, it is something causing the test to run much longer than
expected.

Ian