* oju...@gmail.com <oju...@gmail.com> [171031 12:34]:
> Ian, with all due respect, I beg to differ.
>
> Let's look at that example posted 5 years back:
>
> http://play.golang.org/p/Isoo0CcAvr
>
> Yes, that is the proper behavior according to the rules, we have a FAQ
> entry, fine, but ... put simply: that makes no sense. Why? Because we, the
> users, expect the code to work the other way. That is a big surprise and we
> don't need the tool creating surprises for us, much to the contrary.

I beg to differ.  I, a user, very much expect the current behavior and
would be very surprised if it worked the way you are suggesting.

Ian's msg gives good reasons why it would be wrong to change the
behavior, even if we could go back in time to before the release of Go
1 and the Compatibility Guarantee.

...Marvin