Yeah, so having played with this. It seems that this is going to take some
judicious use of reflect if I'm to stand any chance of maintaining a
flexible API, which I really hoped to avoid.
I had assumed that the point of interfaces was to avoid this. I guess from
a high level I don't see why a slice of type is really that different from
a type. But I have never written a compiler so I'm sure that it's way more
complex than it seems. :-)

Thanks for the help.
Chris