On Feb 21, 2018 10:11 PM, "Bakul Shah" <ba...@bitblocks.com> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:53:20 +0000 Henrik Johansson <dahankz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's not necessarily true.
> The tool can understand from the tag and assert or even rewrite the
imports
> to make the compiler happy.
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018, 21:51 Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018, at 14:46, Henrik Johansson wrote:
> > > But wait. Wasn't there a mention of archive downloads instead of
relyin=
> > on
> > > the different VCS's?
> > >
> > > In the GitHub case I guess it amount to downloading releases (or any
> > commit
> > > I guess) as a zip or tarball.
> >
> > My understanding was that the path is still relavant, so you'd need a
/v2
> > directory inside the zip file, which means you probably need it in your
> > source code. However, if that is incorrect it fixes the problem.

As v2 is only created due to some incompatible change, in my
view it is better to have v2 visible in the path.  Otherwise
it is easy for a reader to get confused when foo.F() in one
package (using v1) behaves differently from foo.F() in another
package (using v2) as they both will have the same import path
and only the "bindings" in their respective go.mod change.

Agreed but it seems a bit of a rather gratuitous constraint to require the
version to be the last element:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/23960

I kind of like Gonum's way of versioning:
gonum.org/v1/gonum/stat
gonum.org/v1/gonum/mat
gonum.org/v1/plot/vg/vgpdf
(And, in the future: