On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM David Anderson <d...@natulte.net> wrote:

> Currently, per the vgo tour, the entire transitive closure gets updated,
> which, per the article's definition, results in a low-fidelity build... If
> you assume that the intent of `vgo get -u` was "the libraries I'm calling
> have new features/fixes, please use them," and not "I want to use the
> latest possible code the universe can offer me, throughout the stack."

I don't think this is the correct interpretation of what Russ calls
"low-fidelity". "low-fidelity build" means, that you install something I
built and gets a poor reproduction of what I intended you to get. This is
different from me upgrading the transitive closure of dependencies of my
stuff and you then installing that; this would still be a good reproduction
of my intent and thus high-fidelity.

> I believe both operations have their place, and I could be convinced
> either way on which should be the default for "update my stuff." I'm
> wondering if I'm alone in thinking that "upgrade only direct dependencies,
> minimal versions elsewhere" is desirable as a "suggested" commandline
> action.

I think it *may* have its place but it should be strongly discouraged (to
the degree that I'm not sure whether I want it to exist at all). I think
upgrading the transitive closure can be a valuable driver to prevent bitrot
in the Go community at large - but that requires that a critical mass of
projects actually use it.