> On the other hand oksvg is completely de novo, so I can slap whatever
> license I want on that package. I take it people here prefer the Go
> license? Can anyone briefly describe the difference? I will definitely
> change it if someone can give me a good reason.  I just want to make it as
> convenient and useful as possible for everyone.

Don’t consider golang-nuts for professional advice. Here’s my understanding:

GPL requires that if the code is distributed or included in a distributed
application (source or binary) then the entirety of the source code is also
distributed and the license remains. “Viral” is a term associated with GPL,
if you use a GPL library then your entire project must become GPL compliant.

For Go you may want to consider the AGPL which also requires any network
app to provide its source code. These GNU licenses are from the Free
Software Foundation which has a traditionally radical philosophy toward
computers: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.en.html So far I
personally like the AGPL approach.

My understanding is the source inclusion is only in effect in distribution.
If you give your program to a person then that doesn’t require you to post
it all on GitHub, but if you have a website where anybody can download your
app then you have to make the source code available to all of those people.
Note that GitHub also has a default license applied to your work which
allows people to fork it and view it on GitHub.

I usually see the MIT, BSD, Apache licenses here. These give you permission
to use the code without requiring you distribute the source code. There may
be attribution requirements and usually the license says something about no
warranty or support provided. If you want your library used here you’ll
probably want one of these.

Matt