That's really a question for the oauth principals: if they say "don't do that" and the customers don't listen, they have a problem to either fix or add to the spec as supported.

We're innocent victims (;-)) and need to decide if we're supporting the spec or the customers.  Right now we're supporting the spec.

--dave