Interesting. I've never had that experience in the past 15ish years
doing POSIXish systems stuff. I've always found it the more natural
expression for handling EINTR from syscalls like read/write. I've also
never seen anyone seriously discourage its use in ##c on freenode over
the same-ish timeframe. I think the only place I may have seen it come
up may have been if someone was doing something egregious with a
macro. You've of course worked on C with far more people for far
longer than I have, but I'm really surprised to hear that this is a
widespread thing, and would be curious to hear more about where that
came from. Do C++ folks hate it and try to force that on C, perhaps?

--dho