Anyone who doesn't want some form of generics is in favor of a bad status
quo. Now I'll be fine without user defined generics if Go provided a dozens
of built-in compile time safe generic data structures like trees, sets,
tuples, ordered maps, weakmaps perhaps WITH a complete set of methods like
map/reduce/filter/... it would be a good compromise.

I'd be fine, if generics could only be functions as well and not structs
with generic methods.

But the whole, "just use interface {}" gimmick in a statically typed
language? NO.