On Dec 2, 2018, at 11:39 PM, robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> what I’m really trying to convey is that “Fixed” is a top-level type, on
> equal footing with ‘string’.

a) it is *not* on equal footing with the built in types of Go.
b) it can't be, as "Fixed" by itself not well defined. The
   Fixed type in your pkg assumes a specific scale factor,
   which may not be right for everyone. In general you'd have
   to allow specifying the fractional parr. For example, PL/I
   provides
        FIXED BINARY(number of bits, fractional bits) &
        FIXED DECIMAL(number of digits, fractional digits)
   for this purpose. The Fixed type in your pkg is *roughly*
   equivalent to FIXED DECIMAL(19,7). Fixed types have a
   very limited use so it wouldn't make sense to add them to
   a general purpose language such as Go.

On dot imports. It is a bad idea. Everyone with far more
experience than you or I have said the same thing and given
their reasons. I suspect you will come around their PoV over
time!