On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 1:33 AM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 1:27 AM Filippo Valsorda <fili...@golang.org> wrote:
> >
> > We have just released go1.12beta1, a beta version of Go 1.12.
> > It is cut from the master branch at the revision tagged go1.12beta1.
> > Report any problems using the issue tracker:
> > https://golang.org/issue/new
>
> Sorry, I cannot use the issue tracker for lack of an Github account,
> so I'm reporting here instead*:
>
> Today I tried to compile Go 1.12 beta 1 from source and the process
> got stuck for the last ~20 minutes
>
> ==== jnml@e5-1650:~/go/src> git checkout go1.12beta1
> Note: checking out 'go1.12beta1'.
>
> You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
> changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
> state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
>
> If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
> do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
>
>   git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
>
> HEAD is now at e3b4b7baad runtime: use QPC for nanotime and time.now
> on windows/arm
> ==== jnml@e5-1650:~/go/src> git status
> HEAD detached at go1.12beta1
> nothing to commit, working tree clean
> ==== jnml@e5-1650:~/go/src> time ./all.bash
> Building Go cmd/dist using /home/jnml/go1.4.
> Building Go toolchain1 using /home/jnml/go1.4.
> Building Go bootstrap cmd/go (go_bootstrap) using Go toolchain1.
> Building Go toolchain2 using go_bootstrap and Go toolchain1.
> Building Go toolchain3 using go_bootstrap and Go toolchain2.
> Building packages and commands for linux/amd64.
>
> ##### Testing packages.
> ok  archive/tar 0.086s
> ok  archive/zip 1.168s
> ok  bufio 0.088s
> ^Cgo build regexp: /home/jnml/go/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/compile: signal:
> interrupt
>
> real 18m35,138s
> user 3m28,947s
> sys 0m19,605s
>
> ==== jnml@e5-1650:~/go/src>
>
> There stuck process as seen in top is
>
> 25119 jnml      20   0  122056  34356   9008 R 203,65 0,210  19:44.57
> /home/jnml/go/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/compile -o
> /tmp/go-build884388659/b081/_pkg_.a -trimpath
> /tmp/go-build884388659/b081 -p regexp -std -complete -buildid
> lXgdJ55enkn+
>
> Here is openSUSE Leap 15.0/64 bit, x86_64 architecture.

Thanks, this is probably https://golang.org/issue/29385, which should
be fixed in the next beta.

> *: It would be nice if the Go team could possibly figure out some way
> how to make it easier to use input from people willing to participate
> in the project without requiring them to have a Microsoft owned
> account. There seems to be no obvious connection between the Microsoft
> corp. and maintaining the Go project.

Yes, it would be nice, but I'm not sure what to do.  I think it's
clear that we need an issue tracker, and we don't particularly want to
run our own.  Want to raise this as a separate thread?  In particular
we would need to know the requirements: having some sort of identity
seems like a requirement, but what sorts of identity would be
acceptable?

Ian