On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM Eric S. Raymond <e...@thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tbushn...@google.com>:
> > Suppose it has a way, however. Now you have Go code which will have a
> > bounds fault instead of a data leak. That's better, I suppose - the
> > resulting bug is now "the server crashes" instead of "the server maybe
> > leaks a key". This is an improvement, but a packet-of-death across a
> widely
> > used library this puts the world in a not dissimilar position in terms of
> > the level of panic and rapid response everybody needs.
>
> The difference is trhat an overt bug will elicit a fast fix.

Was the Heartbleed fix particularly delayed? It seemed to be to be
all-hands-on-deck.

Also, this isn't part of your argument in the past; I would encourage you
to make it explicitly, rather than treating it as a matter of "by
transpiling we'll eliminate this category of security flaw". If the story
is actually "we'll make the bugs more visible and people will panic sooner,
resulting in a faster fix", that's a different argument, and I'd encourage
making it explicitly instead of implicitly.

Thomas
--

memegen delenda est