On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 7:07 PM Eric S. Raymond <e...@thyrsus.com> wrote:

> I agree.  The class of old C program I am interested in is, however,
> not generally limited by CPU but by network and (less commonly) disk
> stalls.  Again bear in mind that my type examples are NTP and DNS service.
> A lot of other legacy infrastructure code fits this pattern.

Can I get a -vv flag on this one?

That the PLL of NTP is network-latency sensitive, I understand. But a DNS
service, to me, should never ever touch the disk, or you are doing
something really wrong. I'm more inclined to guess that these services are
bound by memory bandwidth and latency more than CPU execution speed.

So I'm curious what insight you might have on this subject?