On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 13:43:55 UTC+2, Eric Raymond wrote:

> Have you actually looked it what it outputs?
>
> If not, prepare to be horrified.  Maintainability is an issue.

Maybe it's a silly thought...

Back in the 1950s compilers needed to be small so as to be at  all
executable. We now have monstrously large programs that perform the most
amazing feats of code translation.

But the language constructs that languages provide seem to still have their
roots in those invented when a small memory footprint was essential, so
perhaps the time has come to add much more complex idioms as constructs to
future programming languages instead of providing lots of libraries.

Such "idioms" are of course no more than fancy "generics", but once the
idea that a "construct" rather than a formalised object like a function can
be processed at compile time, it may open the door to recognising common
code pattern (which is what optimisation already does) and make transpilers
more practical.

Am I outsmarting my own understanding? I'd been dreaming of more
complicated language constructs for a very long time, inspired by Tcl, but
I've never really paid the idea much attention.

Lucio.