As far i can see from all the previous answers i summarize this. let's see
at least if we share some points here:

   - The  *er convention is not better or worse than the *able convention,
   the former may apply better in some scenarios than the latter.
   - The "er" suffix goes like a charm with most of the verbs, i guess
      that's why the convention enforces the use on interfaces with a single
      method, because you are able to describe the interface by the sole thing
      that it does.
      - The "er" suffix causes confusion when applied on a subject.
      Stringer, for example, still doesn't have any sense...; this is where the
      purpose of the *er convention gets me dizzy.
      - The "able" suffix works with most of the verbs and subjects alike.
      Recall in java as everthing is an object, the client code is within an
      object, and that object would be the one sending the message to
(or "invoke
      method of") the *able interface. This is part of the "vision" enforced by
      the *able convention, worth to mention in order to understand the intend.
   - The "able" suffix adds indirection (regarding who will perform an
   action), where the "er" is direct (you know who will perform an action),
   my thoughts on this is that each convention allow to see the same
   scenario from a different sides.
      - Example: If i see an abstraction called reader i would expect it to
      have the behaviour to perform reads (over things that are
readable), on the
      other side if see an abstraction called Readable, I would expect
it to have
      the behaviour that allows it be readable (by things that are reader).
      - From what perspective would be correct to approach the scenario? i
      guess there is no predefined answer to this as it is something
specific to
      the business domain and is up to the dev team to decide what is
need to be
      done. Each approach will lead you to different code.

I do believe in honour the language conventions the same as i believe on
doing the things the right way,