The original question--the one I answered--was about a small block of user
code and asked nothing about http or unexpected panics.

The spirit of panic/recover, and with defer, includes in its use "local"
panic, a kind of successor to setjump/longjump, that unwinds the stack,
calls defers, and is caught and managed near some local top. As in the blog
post I excerpted:

https://blog.golang.org/defer-panic-and-recover

*Michael T. jonesmichael.jo...@gmail.com <michael.jo...@gmail.com>*