On May 30, 2019, at 2:25 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <i...@golang.org> wrote:

> One of my guidelines for an acceptable generics proposal is that
> people can write Min and Max.  Your proposal admits that it doesn't
> permit that.  I think that is a problem.  I'm fine with the general
> idea of "do 80% of the job" but in practice people really do want to
> write Min and Max.  I think they are part of the 80% that needs to be
> handled, not the 20% that can be omitted.

I agree strongly with this metric. My principal reason for wanting generics is
precisely so I can avoid writing the kind of repetitive code that I currently
need to write to perform the exact same simple operations on similar datatypes.
 Min and Max are perfect examples of that, Map and Filter are slightly more
complex ones.

If I can't write Min and Max for generic data types, I'm not using it.  YMMV.

- Dave