If anyone hasn't seen it, an issue with the "proposal" tag was created
earlier on the Go issue tracker titled "Proposal: leave "if err != nil"
alone?" (here <https://golang.org/issues/32825>). This issue seems to have
resonated with a lot of people, which may be an important data point when
considering the try proposal <https://golang.org/issues/32437>, but I was
surprised to see how poorly the discussion has gone. There are quite a few
"me too" comments, a few image-only posts, some less than stellar personal
conduct, and overall not a lot of nuanced discussion. I feel that perhaps
these kinds of anti-proposals should be discouraged because they're
inherently reactionary, which seems to get the discussion off on the wrong
foot.

That said, this anti-proposal attracted a whole new group of Go users that
I don't remember from the original try proposal discussion, which was
mostly dominated by ten or twenty participants. The discussion was better,
but the number of active users was much smaller. I wonder if there's a way
to better engage a larger portion of the Go user base while still
encouraging healthy, technical discussion.