On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 7:05 PM Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 3:19 PM Jesper Louis Andersen
> <jesper.louis.ander...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is where the try-construct will definitely improve the ergonomics
> of the programming.
>
> With full respect to you opinion and/or personal preferences,
> "definitely improve" is just and only that. I _definitely_ don't share
> that opinion/personal preference.

I agree. That came out way too matter-of-factly.

I think it will improve ergonomics, because of the following analysis:

CON: New construct in the language means teaching and learning the language
takes more time.
CON: try(..) is a control operator. These are often harder to grasp and
rather subtle.
CON: It is sugar for a common pattern, which if written out could make code
easier to read.
PRO: It is sugar for a common pattern, which if not written out could make
code easier to read.
PRO: It will suggest a common pattern of error handling is easier to work
with in Go, thus make a stylistic choice.
PRO: It is, essentially, a typical Error monad. These are pretty common in
code and having special tooling for them tends to help.
PRO: Code is more often read then written. I think this optimizes for the
reader.
UNDECIDED: This is a pattern you also see in other languages.

My opinion, balancing those pros and cons, is that I think it ends up being
a net positive, but YMMV of course.

--
J.